Surveys For Asbestos
All our work is undertaken by Chartered Building Surveyors and in accordance with HSG264
We are an independent Chartered Surveying Practice, who offer a friendly & professional service to all our residential and commercial clients. The Practice is registered with the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors, which ensures highly qualified Professionals will undertake your work. We offer a thorough and comprehensive asbestos survey service in Swindon & Oxford.
Why should you ask us to quote for your work?
- Our advice is completely impartial.
- We will only recommend removal of asbestos containing materials (ACM’s) when it is necessary!
- We are not connected to and have no financial interest in any Asbestos Removal Companies.
- With the requirements that are being imposed on building owners, employers, and leaseholders on repairing leases; we believe it is essential that those responsible are made aware of their duties. We have thoughtfully produced a Clients Guide as an introduction to this new Legislation.
- All our surveyors are regulated by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and can therefore carry full professional indemnity insurance giving you total peace of mind.
- All survey types are undertaken in accordance with HSG264.
A Client’s Brief Guide
Who does this explicit duty effect?
Anyone who owns, occupies, manages or has responsibilities for premises which may contain asbestos will either have:
i. A legal duty to manage the risk from asbestos. Or ii. A duty to co-operate with whoever manages that risk.
The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 (CAR), in particular Regulation 4 (the duty to manage asbestos in non domestic buildings) replaced the Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations 2002 (CAWR) and CAR 2006.
The legislation tightens the regulatory jigsaw puzzle that exposes maintenance workers and staff to the unforeseen risk of asbestos within commercial buildings by imposing an explicit duty on Employers to manage the risk of exposure to their employees or other persons within the building who are at risk of being affected by asbestos.
How do I know if I have conformed to the legislation?
The legislation is satisfied by undertaking asbestos surveys on your premises. Assessing the potential risk of asbestos containing materials within the building and managing the risks once identified. If asbestos products are identified as having a satisfactory condition and retained within the building then the obligation on the duty holder is to review the condition of the material normally every six months and to update the management plan accordingly. We can help you setup this plan, so that you can be self monitoring in the future, therefore saving your firm future consultancy fees.
How do you know if your buildings contain asbestos?
You can only be certain by carrying out a survey. The HSE have developed a technical guidance document HSG264 which sets out methods for determining hazardous substances on surveying workplace premises for asbestos containing materials (ACM’s) in order to achieve compliance with the CAR.
A competent surveyor, preferably a Chartered Building Surveyor, will have evidence of attendance on an approved course and the Proficiency Certificate in Building Surveys & Bulk Sampling For Asbestos. Professional Indemnity Insurance is a further guarantee of competence.